Angle Vale Bridge, Gawler River, 1876-
This laminated timber arch rib bridge was constructed in 1876 by Messrs Hack and Parker for the Central Roads Board.
It provided a direct and reliable crossing for road traffic carrying wheat and firewood from the Adelaide Plains to markets in the city.
Approximately twenty such structures were built in South Australia after 1856 because they were economically and quickly constructed with readily-available materials and could survive most floods with their large clear openings. THey were an ingenious solution in the colony which lacked its own structural timber resources.
- HEM: Historic Engineering Marker (to 2008)