Cairncross Graving Dock, 1944-1987, 1995-
First planned in 1934 and built by the Allied Works Council for the Queensland (QLD) Government during a period of unprecedented war strain between September 1942 and June 1944, the 263m long dock gave valuable wartime service before becoming a major peacetime asset for the Australian shipping industry.
The dock's restored viability 50 years after its commissioning is a tribute to the foresight of engineers who planned, designed, constructed, operated, maintained and subsequently refurbished it.
Operations at Cairncross Dock ceased in the second half of 2014. The future of the Dock is uncertain.
- HEM: Historic Engineering Marker (to 2008)