Richmond Bridge, Coal River, 1825-


This bridge was recommended by Commissioner John Thomas Bigge in 1820 to provide a reliable crossing of the Coal River for traffic to the East Coast and Tasman Peninsula in times of flood.

Originally known as Bigges Bridge, it was constructed by convict labour under the supervision of the Engineer for Public Works, Major Thomas Bell and Superintendent of Stonemasons William Wilson, commenced in December 1823 and completed in January 1825; it is the oldest remaining bridge in Australia.


Marker Type

  • HEM: Historic Engineering Marker (to 2008)