Sydney City Railway, 1926 -

Description

When opened to St James Station in 1926, this underground electrified railway was the first to enter an Australian Capital City specifically to serve the City Centre.

The scheme was largely due to Dr J J C Bradfield of Sydney Harbour Bridge fame and involved a massive amount of engineering work, tunnels, stations and bridges.

The city loop across Circular Quay was completed in 1956 and the system has become an essential component of Sydney's railway network.

Division

Marker Type

  • HEM: Historic Engineering Marker (to 2008)

Documentation

Nomination

Report